There may be times when you want to flaunt your favourite off-shoulder party dress but you end up wearing a boring dress because of your dark underarms.
Causes of Dark Underarms
Dark underarms are generally caused due to a skin condition acanthosis nigricans which may cause the skin to darken in the fold areas. Enlisting some of the causes of Dark Circle-
- The chemical irritants in deodorants are one of the leading causes of dark underarms.
- Excessive shaving may lead to discolouration and pigmentation of the underarms. It may also lead to inflammation of our skin.
- Too much accumulation of dead skin cells on underarms may also darken them. This generally happens due to lack of exfoliation.
- Obesity is one of the leading factors of dark underarms.
- Hormonal disorders such as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) or thyroid may cause dark underarms.
- Some medications including birth control pills, insulin, growth hormone etc. may cause dark underarms.
- Wearing tight clothes may at times cause friction which may often lead to dark armpits.
- People who have type 2 diabetes are also at an increased risk of dark underarms as an increase in the insulin level can lead to skin darkening
- People with dark skin tone have more melanin in their body thus they are more prone to darker underarms
- Too much shaving can also lead to ingrown hair thus making our underarms dark